Humanitarian Programme Manager
For external distribution
ACTIONAID INTERNATIONAL – DRC
POSITION: HUMANITARIAN PROGRAMME MANAGER
DURATION – 1 year and renewable
LOCATION: KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
Local terms and conditions of employment will apply
ActionAid commenced operations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) in 1987 by providing relief to Burundian refugees who had crossed over to in the Eastern town of Uvira, South Kivu Province from Burundi. In 2002, it also supported emergency operations in North Kivu. Today, ActionAid DRC (AA DRC) works to promote structural change and build collaboration with governments, traditional authorities, civil society organizations (CSOs) and communities. AA DRC operates in seven provinces – North Kivu, South Kivu, Kasai Oriental, Kasai Central, Sankuru, Lomani and Kinshasa – that are home to an estimated 43 million people. AA DRC has offices in Kinshasa, Bukavu and Mbuji Mayi.
ActionAid DRC is seeking a skilled Humanitarian Programmes Manager position to assume leadership in AA DRC’s emergency strategy development and strategic planning and management processes in line with ActionAid’s human rights-based approach and humanitarian signature. The position also supports the co-ordinating and leadership role of Country Director. If you are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work in a new context and be part of a team working to bring about social justice the look no further.
Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Leadership in AA DRC’s emergency strategy development and strategic planning and management processes in line with ActionAid’s human rights-based approach and humanitarian signature
- Co-ordinating the development of an emergency response plan based on robust needs assessments, risk assessments and a clear budget
- Ensuring that a feminist analysis and women’s rights perspective, including women’s leadership and protection programming, are integral to the plan
- Ensure the Core Humanitarian Standards are implemented across the response program and that transparency and accountability tools, processes and mechanisms to rights holders are developed with active participation of affected communities
- Ensuring appropriate external engagement in clusters and with donors
- Ensuring AA DRC emergency responses meet partner/client and corporate requirements and reflect AA DRC’s theory of change and long-term development objectives
- Development of a policy/advocacy plan linked to program activities ensuring a bottom up approach to policy work
- Liaising with CD, Finance Manager and other related teams in AA DRC for formulation of proposals to seek funding.
- Staff Management, development and performance management.
Desired Skills & Experience
- A degree in Development Studies/Social Sciences or its equivalent from a recognized University
- At least 7 years of work experience, of which 3 years should be as a Humanitarian Manager in a similar organisation
- Has good knowledge of DRC Humanitarian Context
- Proven experience in strategic management with strong HRBA programming in emergencies
- Conversant with Core Humanitarian Standards and Frameworks
- Strong project and donor management experience and;
- Proven experience in leading, supporting and motivating staff and teams.
Applications should be sent with your CV, motivation cover letter to: DRC.Job@actionaid.org by no later than 29th March, 2019 . Please clearly indicate the position you are applying for. We respect all candidates, but we can only respond to shortlisted candidates.
ActionAid is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Société : ActionAid
Site Internet :
Email : DRC.Job@actionaid.org