TERMS OF REFERENCE
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Position Title Grade Duty station
Public Information and Communications Officer CONSULTANT Kinshasa
Unit Program support unit
Direct manager Head of Program support unit
Overall supervision Chief of Mission
Management responsibility No
Technical management Regional Media and Communications Officer
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates. The successful candidate is responsible, within the policy outlines developed by the Organization, the Head of Office, the Head of the Project Coordination Unit and the mission’s strategy, for the development and achievement of communications policy, visibility, media relations and outreach. The Communications Officer develops, implements and monitors IOM DRC’s communication strategy.
In particular s/he will:
• Developing communications policy based on the vision and strategy formulated by IOM’s Headquarters, the Head of Office and the Project Coordination Head of Unit.
• Harmonizing visibility efforts and ensuring continuous monitoring, evaluation and adjustment of the communication strategy.
• Providing advice and support to the thematic units, on varied means for internal and external communication. Proactive attitude towards branding, media relations and provide advice on possible consequences for the organization.
• Translating the communications policy into communications tools. Seeing to the correct utilization of these tools (design of website, house style and other external IOM messages).
• Coordinating the production of and design for the external reports and external publications.
• Clarifying subjects which require internal or external publicity. Formulating articles, verbal or written messages and presentations aimed at IOM's beneficiaries and stakeholders.
• Providing information on IOM's services and representing the organization for media, beneficiaries, partners and any other external stakeholders.
• Maintaining a network of (inter)national public and private as well as interagency contacts aimed at the early identification of cooperation opportunities and the promotion of IOM's objectives and image.
• Supporting management in its contacts with the media, the private sector and goodwill ambassadors.
• Writing press releases and bringing these to the media's attention.
• Monitoring of press releases relevant to the organization and timely information sharing to ensure up to date knowledge and capacity in the mission.
• Managing and overseeing the mission’s website and social media.
• Coordinating, overseeing, advising and supporting the organization of events in coordination with thematic units.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned
IV REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
Behavioural • Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
• Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
• Monitors own work to correct errors
• Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
Client Orientation • Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
• Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
Continuous Learning • Contributes to colleagues' learning
• Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
• Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
Communication • Actively shares relevant information
• Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
• Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
• Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative • Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation • Convinces others to share resources
• Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
• Presents goals as shared interests
• Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
Performance Management • Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
• Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and Organizing • Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
• Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
• Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers Identifies
• risks and makes contingency plans
• Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
Professionalism • Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
• Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
• Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
• Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
• Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
Teamwork • Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
• Contributes to, and follows team objectives
• Gives credit where credit is due
• Seeks input and feedback from others
• Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
• Actively supports and implements final group decisions
• Takes joint responsibility for team's work
Technological Awareness • Learns about developments in available technology
• Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
• Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
Basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
Basic knowledge of Final Cut Pro or any other video editing software
Resource Mobilization • Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
V. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education and Experience • Knowledge of communication at higher professional education level. Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in communication;
• Knowledge of asylum and migration problems and the relevant (inter)national parties and organizations.
• Knowledge of IOM’s services, IOM’s communications policy and the political environment.
• Excellent writing, editorial and communication skills for the drafting of texts and for the Formulation of a communications policy
VI. LANGUAGES Required
IOM has a gender policy and encourages applications from women.
Applications composed of the IOM PHF (Personal History Form) and a typed cover letter can be sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 November 2018, indicating the title of the post as a reference. No applications will be received by physical mail.
TERMS OF REFERENCE